The PTA at Mount Vernon Community School supports the students, teachers and parents and helps create a vibrant and enriching place to learn. Active and involved parents are essential to our success — together we can have a positive impact on all children who attend MVCS.
Join Us Today!
Need to buy gifts before it’s too late? Come to the Potomac Yards Barnes & Noble this Sunday December 15, 2013! Tell the clerk you are shopping for MVCS and 10% of your purchases all day (excluding gift cards, and 5% for Nooks) will be credited to the MVCS PTA!
Not only can you finish your shopping, you can check out our amazing entertainment on the children’s stage!
- 1:30 p.m. Have a blast with Spanish Language Story Time with Ms. Harvin and Ms. Crews-West
- 2 p.m. Enjoy a holiday concert by the MVCS chorus
- 3 p.m. Have fun reading stories with Mr. Balas
There will also be a Reflections art gallery and scavenger hunt on your own (1-4pm, pick up clues at the stage).
Can’t attend? You can still support the MVCS PTA by shopping online. Visit BN.COM/bookfairs to support us online from 12/15/13 to 12/19/13 by entering Book Fair ID 11151776 at checkout. A portion of your purchase will be given to the PTA to support programs you love at MVCS.
Our next Shop ‘N Drop is this Saturday, December 14, from 2-4 p.m. This is the perfect opportunity to clear out your closets, attic, basement or garage before the end of the year.
Our showroom is located at 3815 Mt Vernon Ave. in the shopping center with MOM’s organic market. Donations are tax-deductible. If you have bulky items that are too difficult to move, contact email@example.com to schedule a pick-up. (We know it’s cold out there, you can trust our patented white-glove service team to safely transport your donations to our showroom.)
And if you haven’t finished (or started) your holiday shopping, you are welcome to purchase any of the merchandise that has already been donated. Surely, someone on your list would appreciate this gem!
Our next Shop ‘N Drop is scheduled for January 18, 2014. For more info, visit http://www.mvbigflea.com
Our wonderful community partner, Del Ray Pizzeria, is raising money for their own. Please help us to give back to those who do so much for us all year.
Claudia Yaneth Membreño Gomez, daughter of DRP dishwasher Enma Gomez and sister to dishwasher Elder Gomez, was gunned down in her home in Honduras while serving dinner to her four children. The children are now here in Alexandria staying with their father.
On Tuesday, November 26, DRP will give proceeds from the restaurant, Chef Reid is donating his pay for the day, and the servers and bartenders will be donating their tips to benefit the family. There will also be a special benefit dinner that night in the upstairs room — $40 a person.
More information about all of this is available at the links below (Don Rockwell and Del Ray Patch).
The MV Big Flea is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the MVCS PTA. It starts with Shop ‘N Drops each month — where you can donate household items and purchase items already donated — and ends with our huge flea market event on April 26, 2014. Our first Shop ‘N Drop is this Saturday, November 16, 2013, from 2-4 p.m. at 3815 Mt Vernon Ave.
Here’s how you can get involved:
1. Make a Donation: Drop off furniture and household items you no longer need during the Shop ‘N Drop. If you have large or heavy items, email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a pick-up at your home. All donations are tax-deductible.
2. Shop the Flea: Visit the flea showroom and purchase any of the items that have already been donated. All proceeds go right back to our school.
3. Spread the Word: Please let your friends, neighbors and family members know about the Big Flea — they can donate and buy stuff each month. We’ll be accepting donations now until mid-April. Visit the Big Flea site for the complete donation guide. The Big Flea is also on Facebook and Twitter.
4. Volunteer: We can ALWAYS use help at the Shop ‘N Drops — selling, organizing, and helping with donation pick-ups. Visit our VolunteerSpot page to sign up — 1 or 2 hours makes a HUGE difference! Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
For more information and to see photos of items currently for sale, visit http://www.mvbigflea.com.
Our Fabulous Fall Fundraiser last weekend was a huge success — so many parents, teachers and community members came together to celebrate and support our school. We’re so close to meeting our financial goal for the event. Please make a donation today to help us meet and exceed our goal. Donations are tax-deductible and will be used for laptops, art supplies, musical instruments and environmental projects at Mount Vernon Community School. THANK YOU!
Over 30 local businesses and individuals have donated items for the raffle at the Fall Fundraiser this Saturday, November 2, 2013. Here’s a sneak preview of some of the prizes you could win!
- Private tour of the Capitol with Senator Warner
- Dinner with Mayor Euille
- Gift certificates from the Neighborhood Restaurant Group
- Haircut and color at Bisoux Salon
- Painting by local artist Eric Nelson
- Private shopping party at Kiskadee
- Gift certificates from many Del Ray restaurants
- Gift certificates from several Pilates and yoga studios
- Gift certificates from Let’s Meat on the Avenue, Natures Nibbles, Old Town School For Dogs, Gossip on 23rd, Balance Ballet and Jolie Petite Nail Salon
- Autographed sports memorabilia from the Nationals, Caps, Orioles and DC United
- And much more!
But first, make sure you buy your ticket to the Fall Fundraiser and join us this Saturday, November 2, from 6-9 PM.
And if you haven’t arranged child care, we have you covered! Drop your kids off at Mind the Mat’s Del Ray studio for an evening of yoga and games. The cost is $30/kid and all money will go directly to the PTA! Here’s more information about how to sign up.
We hope to see you on Saturday!